Who else sets ambitious fitness goals at the beginning of each year? My goals are usually along the lines of working out every day, no dessert during the week, drinking 5 bottles of water and other unattainable things. I can never end up sticking to them, which is really disheartening. This year, I set more attainable goals, and for the most part I have stuck to them! Here’s a look at what I’m trying to do more of/less of to look and feel my best:
– work out 6-7 days a week
– drink 3 bottles of water, one with lemon
– tea at night
– swap sugary desserts for fruit or dark chocolate
– take my vitamins! I always forget…
– 80% clean eating & 20% whatever I want
– eat more greens – in salads, smoothies or anything else
My current workout routine:
weightlifting 3x a week
– I don’t use anything heavier than 30lb
– deadlifts, weighted plié squats, kettlebell swings, weighted punches, weighted micro squats are the exercises I do
– stretching for a few minutes after lifting ensures that your muscles are growing in a long, lean way and not in a bulky way
– make sure you eat protein through the day after weights
pilates or cardio 3x a week
– pilates in great for creating long & lean muscles – the look that I love!
– I don’t take pilates classes or have a reformer, so I just watch YouTube videos & do other exercises I know
– for cardio, I ride my stationary bike anyway from 3 – 10 miles (it just depends on the day) listening to music or watching a show makes it go by so much faster!
– cardio is really important, but contrary to popular opinion, weight training (it doesn’t have to be heavy) is actually best for toning up (combined with clean eating of course)
– walking isn’t technically “exercise” but it’s good to have a high step count each day if you can. It’s great for stretching your legs out and keeping your lungs healthy
– I love to walk either 1 mile or 3 miles after school most days – it’s so nice to get away from your desk for a little while. Plus you can listen to music or a good podcast! This is my favorite at the moment!
Other healthy tips
– water!! I’m sure you constantly hear how water is so important for you…we need water to live obviously, but it does so much more than that! It helps the immune system, helps keep skin clear, helps to promote a positive attitude & makes you glow from the inside out!
– snacks! Some snacks are obviously not healthy and don’t do anything for you, but having the right snack when you’re hungry or need a shot of energy can do wonders you! (Boost mood, metabolism, give you energy & make you more alert) Some of my go to healthy snacks are nuts, berry smoothies, apples & peanut butter, or veggies & hummus!
– getting away from your screen/eyes off your phone. I think we can all do better on this one. I don’t usually go on my phone too often, but being stuck at home has definitely changed that! I’ve been trying to put my phone away before I go to sleep too – so often I like to watch a show before bed, but I have a hard time falling asleep.